Monday, February 24, 2014

barbacoa

There is a restaurant here in our home town, that make AWESOME burritos... not quite Chipotle... but still as great. I was searching the internet for some ideas; for ingredients. Tweaked a few ingredients to fit my family's taste. Absolutely loved it, not bad for my first barbacoa.


Ingredients:
-about 3 lbs of chuck roast (or any kind of roast - for me I use what I have, because I get my meat by the whole, I get half the cow/pig and another family gets the other half ... much cheaper that way!)
-1 tablespoon of oil (I use olive oil, but vegetable or canola is fine)
-1/4 cup of apple cider viniger
or.... because I didn't have apple cider viniger when I made it, I used
               -2 tablespoons of apple cider
               -2 tablespoon of white viniger
-1/2 cup of chipotle pepper marinade mix (1 packet makes 1/2 cup... follow directions on packet)
-4 cloves of garlic
-1 tablespoon ground cummin
-1/2 tablespoon oregano
-1/2 tablespoon black pepper
-1/2 tablespoon sea salt
-1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- about 3/4 cups of beef stock


In a food processor combine all ingredients, except for the oil, roast and beef stock. Process for about 1 minute, until mixed well and saucy. let that sit for a few minutes.

In the a crock-pot, add the oil and turn on high (let it heat up).

With the roast, pat dry, trim the fat, cut if needed to fit in the crock-pot ( I cut into large pieces).

Place the meat in the crock-pot, add your sauce and add the beef stock (you want the fluid to come 2/3 of the way up on the meat.

Turn the crock=-pot to low for about 6-8 hours. Until you are able to pull the meat apart. (varies depending on the meat and crock-pot)

No comments:

Post a Comment